18 Oct Journeyman Heavy Equipment Technician; What does it take?
What does it take to become a Heavy Equipment Technician?
Did you know that 80% of your time is spent doing on the job training under the guidance and supervision of a certified journeyman or qualified person. The other 20% is spent in a post secondary institute learning theory, technical skills and of course passing exams. The apprenticeship program takes a total of 4 years.
The heavy duty technician trade is made up of the following:
A) Transport Trailer Mechanic:
The apprenticeship for a heavy duty technician- transport trailer mechanic is 2 years (2-12 month periods). This consists of at least 1500 hrs of on the job training, under the supervision of a journeyman, passing an 8 week, in class, technical training , in the first 12 month period and a minimum of 1800 hrs of on the job training in the second 12 month period. Once completed you’ll receive a journeyman certificate as a transport trailer mechanic.
A transport trailer mechanic is able to maintain, repair and overhaul commercial transport devices connected to or moved by a power unit, such as flat decks, dry freight vans, tankers, converters, boosters, pole trailers, jeeps, steering dollies and dump trailers.
B) Truck and Trailer Mechanic:
The heavy duty technician-truck and trailer mechanic, is 3 years (3-12 month periods) with a minimum 1500 hrs on the job training, as well as passing the 8 week, in class, technical training each year. After the successful completion of the 3 years you’ll receive a journeyman certificate as a truck and trailer mechanic, as well as maintaining the journeyman certificate as a transport trailer mechanic.
A truck and trailer mechanic can maintain, repair and overhaul on highway vehicles and equipment including, internal combustion engines and components, on highway vehicles, such as trucks and buses, and on and off highway trailers.
C) Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (off road):
This is also 3 years, minimum 1500 hrs on the job training each year, and 8 weeks of in class technical training each year . This will give you a journeyman certificate for heavy duty equipment mechanic, along with the journeyman certificate for transport trailer mechanic.
A heavy duty equipment mechanic (off road) maintains, repairs and overhauls heavy vehicles and industrial equipment (off highway), such as crawler tractors, ground engaging equipment, earth moving equipment, off highway trucks and off highway trailers.
D) Heavy Equipment Technician:
After 4 years of a minimum 1500 hrs on the job training and passing 8 weeks of in class technical training, each year, you’ll receive your journeyman heavy duty technician certificate. As a journeyman you’ll not only continue to do the above jobs but will also maintain, repair and overhaul heavy vehicles and industrial equipment on highway.
On highway equipment includes but not limited to, internal combustion engines and components, tracked equipment (crawlers), ground engaging equipment and components, earth moving equipment, rubber tired equipment (tractors), on & off highway trucks and trailers.
Kaymor firmly believes in the apprenticeship programs and is part of the RAP (registered apprenticeship program) for high school students.
So if your looking to become a journeyman heavy duty technician call Brad Barsalow at 780-538-2623 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.